Soon No More Visa On Arrival for Kenya
Kenyan Department of Immigration services launched e-Visa application online. From September 1 st 2015 all tourists that require visa for Kenya will have to apply for Kenyan visa online prior to arrival to the country. Visas on arrival from September 2015 will no longer be available.
How to Apply for Kenyan Visa Online
Applications for visa must be submitted on the eCitizen website;
Update 2018: the site at the moment looks like is not secure, doesn’t have any SSL certificate.
First you will have to register as a visitor. On screen there will be various options, applicants for visa choose register as visitor option.
Initial registration requires basic information like email, name, country and password to created account. After registration you have to check your email for verification of your account. In case you don’t get anything into your inbox, check spam /junk folders.
Once you validate account by clicking a link in email, you can continue with registration.
Next step requires your photo passport. Maximum allowed size to upload photo is 500×500 px. Photo must not be a scan! And background of photo must be white. Once the photo is uploaded you will be redirected to account dashboard .
Now you can apply for visa:
- Once Logged in, Select Deparment of Immigration services. Select submit Appplication.
- Select Kenyan Visa.
- Select the type of Kenyan Visa – for now two options available: transit and tourist single visa.
- A fill in form will open, make sure you follow instructions to avoid rejection.
- Application form requires you to upload also a photo of your passport’s bio data page.
- Last step is payment for visa. They accept Visa card, Mastercard and other debit cards.
- Await and hope for approval via email, then download and print the eVisa from your eCitizen account.
- Present your printed eVisa to the immigration officer at the port of entry.
Good to Know About Kenyan Visa
- From now on also children under 16 must obtain visa for Kenya. Children under 16 were previously exempt from requirements.
- Visa processing fee is non refundable. Incomplete applications will be rejected by the system.
- The possession of an eVisa is not the final Authority to enter The Republic of Kenya. Engaging in any form of business or employment without a requisite permit or pass is an offence.
- A visa is required prior to entry into The Republic of Kenya. The e-Visa printout must be presented at the port of entry.
- At the moment visa applicants can apply only for single entry visa to Kenya and transit visa.
- According to their website, applications for East African Visa will be available soon.
Cost of Kenyan Visa
When you apply online, cost for single tourist visa for Kenya will set you back for 51 USD, while transit visa costs 21 USD.
Transit Visa Requirements
Transit travellers to Kenya must along with visa present onward plane ticket to next destination. Visa is valid 72 hours. All travellers must have valid passport for at least six months, travel itinerary and hotel booking details. Have you applied for Kenyan Visa online? Share your experience in comments below.
Update on Visa for Kenya 2016 – Officials Overcharging Single Visa at Nairobi Airport
According to some Facebook groups, visa for Kenya is still possible to obtain on Nairobi Airport, due to online visa system often being offline. Travellers reported overcharging for Kenyan visa from custom officials, you can read screen shot above. Visa at the moment of writing still costs 50 USD and not 100 USD ( unless you are opting for East African Visa which allows you to travel to Uganda and Rwanda as well).
More Kenya posts:
Disclaimer: this post is intended for informational purpose only. Always consult the official sites or embassies regarding immigration and visas.