Air Travel in Kenya
Air travel in Kenya is well covered by several Kenyan airlines. If you are looking for cheap flights within Kenya, there are two airlines operating low cost flights Jambojet and Fly540.
Access by air to all major National parks in Kenya is excellent, operated by small aircraft companies allowed to fly within airstrips. Majority flies from Nairobi Wilson Airport.
There are several international airports in Kenya, Nairobi Airport (NBO), Mombasa International Airpoirt (MOI) and Eldoret Airport. Most likely travellers land either on NBO or MOI airports. Nairobi Airport is also international airport hub and if you plan to travel onward anywhere in Africa, Nairobi Airport would be suitable starting point.
Due to security reasons, Kenya Airport Securities perform regular and ad hoc security checks on passengers, which may cause delays. Make sure you come at the Nairobi Airport early enough.
If the flight tickets were paid with credit card online, you will have to show your credit card. In case ticket was paid by someone else not travelling, you have to provide photocopy of credit card, both sides.
Luggage weight limit with small aircrafts that operate flights to parks and small airstrips is 15 kilos, soft bags.
Jambojet Travel Flight Routes in Kenya
Jambojets pricing policy is similar to European Ryan air etc. The sooner you book, cheaper the flight ticket is. They allow one carry on piece of luggage for free, limited by dimensions and weight: maximum 10 kilos. Everything else is for additional charge. Keep this in mind when packing for flight with Jambojet.
Baggage allowance : 10 kilos
Popular flights by Jambojet:
- Several daily flights between Nairobi Int. Aiport (NBO)and Mombasa Airport,
- Twice a day flights between Nairobi and Kisumu
- 10 times per week between Nairobi and Eldoret
- Almost all beach destinations are served on daily basis, check their website for schedule.
You can book flights online. Airport shuttle available for additional cost.
Price range: $ -$$
Fly540 Air Travel Routes in Kenya
Fly540 serves international and domestic flights within Kenya.
Domestic flights Fly540 between Nairobi and:
- Mombasa daily 5 flights
- Eldoret daily 2 flights
- Kisumu daily 2 flights
- Lamu daily 1 flight
- Lodwar 1 flight daily on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday Sunday and 2 flights daily on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- Malindi 1 daily flight
Internatinal flights with Fly540 are possible between Nairobi and:
- Moroni Comoros
All departures from Nairobi with Fly540 take place NBO Airort, terminal 1!
All local/domestic flights depart from Terminal 1D
All international flights from Terminal 1B
SafariLinkTravel Routes in Kenya
Safarilink makes all main game parks accessible by scheduled flights. More demanding travellers that want more comfort and privacy, may arrange a private charter flight also to locations not on regular schedule to more offbeat locations within Kenya.
Safarilink flies to several locations in Maasai Mara, Amboseli, Lewa, Samburu, Tsavo parks, Malindi, Lamu, Lodwar etc, see the infographic and Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.
Good to know about Safarilink:
- flights to Naivasha, Migori, Tsavo West and all the Lewa and Loisaba require at least passengers being booked in the high season and four in the low season.
- Their rates do not include domestic or international taxes that need to be paid in USD on departure, depending on the taxes, have some cash on the side – roughly between 10 to 50 USD.
- Heavily overweighted passengers with Safarilink are advised to buy additional seat space (70% of booking price)
Price range: $$ – $$$$
Blue Sky Aviation Travel Routes in Kenya
Flights form Kenyan Coast To Mara and Amboseli
Blue Sky Aviation is small company offering some scheduled flights between Kenyan coast Maasai Mara and Amboseli.
Prices for one way flight vary between 350 for one way and 460USD for round trip. Charter flights on request.
Routes for Blue Sky Aviation both ways:
- Amboseli via Mara to Mombasa
- Diani to Maasai Mara
- Malindi to Maasi Mara
- Mombasa to Masai Mara
Price range: $$-$$$$